Foley catheters, also known as urinary catheters, are flexible tubes that are passed through the urethra and bladder to help drain urine. They are considered essential in the urology sector, helping patients with bladder dysfunctions to drain urine into urine bags and reducing urology-related complications. The prevalence of urological diseases – such as urinary retention, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), bladder obstruction, urinary incontinence and prostate cancer – has increased significantly in recent years. According to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), nearly 15 to 25 percent of hospitalized patients receive a urinary catheter each year. As the number of hospital admissions continues to increase year on year, there is a continuing need for Foley catheters in hospitals, which is expected to remain a crucial end-use segment.
Likewise, the growing burden of urinary retention, a chronic condition in which individuals cannot urinate voluntarily, is propelling the demand for Foley catheters to facilitate urine drainage. According to estimates by the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP), about 4.5 to 6.8 per 1,000 men in the United States suffer from urinary retention. As the incidence of the disorders continues to grow across the world, demand for Foley catheters is expected to remain high for years to come.
Along the same lines, high prevalence of urinary incontinence, a condition that causes involuntary leakage of urine, is expected to provide remunerative opportunities for players in the Foley Catheters market. The severity of urinary incontinence increases with age, with men over the age of 70 being the most affected. The growing geriatric population base will continue to require the use of Foley catheters.
Impact of COVID-19 on the Foley Catheters Market
COVID-19 is expected to create slight fluctuations in the growth trajectory of Foley Catheters Market. There has been a noticeable shift in healthcare facility priorities, with treating patients with COVID-19 being the top priority across the world. Hospitals in severely affected countries such as the United States and India have deprioritized non-essential hospitalizations, leading to a drop in demand for Foley catheters. Since urology is not the health concern of greatest concern today, sales of many urological care devices, including Foley catheters, are expected to decline in hospitals. However, demand for Foley catheters in long-term care facilities is poised to remain unbalanced during the pandemic and will continue to drive sales of these devices.
Request a sample PDF brochure:
After analyzing and reviewing all the above-mentioned facets in its new market research, Future Market Insights (IMF) forecasts the value of the global Foley Catheters market to grow at a CAGR of almost 5% between 2020 and 2030. The report includes :
- The global Foley catheter market is expected to exceed the valuation of US$2.2 billion by the end of 2030.
- By product type, 2-way Foley catheters are poised to remain the most sought-after variants, due to their wide availability and simple installation, and hold more than half of the overall market value.
- Among materials, latex-based Foley catheters should have an advantage over their counterparts, silicone-based Foley catheters, supported by their ability to reduce urethral irritation.
- Based on indications, urinary incontinence is expected to remain the largest segment, due to a high incidence in the geriatric population.
- North America will remain at the forefront of the regional landscape attributed to high spending on medical aids coupled with new product approvals.
- Asia-Pacific and Europe will continue to provide remunerative opportunities for market players.
“With catheter-acquired infections being a major challenge to the adoption of Foley catheters, manufacturers are focusing on developing products with materials and coatings that help reduce the buildup of bacteria, thereby limiting the possibility of catheter-acquired infections in patients,” notes the IMF analyst. .
The major players in the market are focusing on the development of advanced catheters that reduce the likelihood of the patient developing catheter-associated infections. To achieve this, they use new materials and coatings and seek approvals to market their devices. On these lines,
- CR Bard uses silver ion and antimicrobial coatings in the production of Foley catheters to eliminate the risk of infections associated with catheters when used for long periods of time.
- B. Braun Melsungen AG continues to develop its line of catheters called Actreen® catheters, designed specifically for urinary retention, and are coated with lubricants for comfortable and hygienic use.
- In 2019, Safe Medical Design Inc. obtained FDA approval to market its new catheter designed to reduce urethral trauma.
The FMI report includes profiles of some of the biggest names in the market including Teleflex Incorporated, Cardinal Health, CR Bard, B. Braun Melsungen AG, Coloplast A/S, Medtronic plc, Flume, ConvaTec Group, VOTG Medical, Sterimed Group, Ribbel International Limited, Angiplast Private Limited, Mais India Medical Devices Private Limited and JK Medirise.
Get in touch with our team to benefit from a flat rate discount of 20%:
Latex Foley Catheter
- Hydrogel Coated Latex Foley Catheters
- Silicone Coated Latex Foley Catheter
- Silver Coated Latex Foley Catheters
- “PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) (Teflon)
- Coated Latex Foley Catheters
Silicone Foley Catheter
- Hydrogel Coated Silicone Foley Catheters
- Pure Silicone Foley Catheters
- Silver Coated Silicone Foley Catheters
- Urinary incontinence
- Urethral stricture
- Chronic obstruction
- Neurogenic bladder
- Enlarged prostate gland/BPH
- Prostate cancer
- Long-term care facilities
- North America
- Latin America
- South Asia
- East Asia
- Middle East and Africa
ABOUT FUTURE MARKET INSIGHTS, INC.
Future Market Insights, Inc. is an ESOMAR certified business consulting and market research firm, member of the Greater New York Chamber of Commerce and headquartered in Delaware, USA. Recipient of the 2022 Clutch Leaders Award for high customer score (4.9/5), we have partnered with global companies on their business transformation journey and helped them realize their business ambitions. 80% of the Forbes 1000 largest companies are our clients. We serve global clients across all leading and niche market segments in all major industries.
Now enjoy flexible research subscriptions and access multiple research formats with downloadable data books, infographics, charts, an interactive reading book for data visualization, and comprehensive reports through MarketNgage, the research engine. market intelligence from Future Market Insights. Sign up for a 7 day free trial!
Future Market Insights, Inc.
Christiana Corporate, 200 Continental Drive,
Suite 401, Newark, Delaware – 19713, USA
Such. : +1-845-579-5705
Requests: [email protected]insights.com